Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pet Blogging Update

Yeah, I know, it's been months since we've done any pet-blogging here at 618Rants...

First and foremost, our condolences go out to Kevin Drum, formerly of CalPundit and now of Washington Monthly's Political Animal, on the loss of his cat, Jasmine, who died on January 4th. From what I've seen around the tubes, Jasmine pretty much started the whole cat-blogging genre.

On the local scene, I woke up the other day and looked down the bed at the Labrador and both cats. It wasn't until I was in the shower that a thought struck me: we only have one cat. Got out of the shower, dried off, went into the bedroom and counted the cats again: one, two. Woke up the lovely yet talented Mrs 618 and asked her how many cats we had.

"One, you jerk, you know that. Go away and let me sleep."

I asked her to count, and she came up with... two.

Turns out the second cat was Sadie, who (allegedly) lives next door. We figure she snuck in underneath Emily before we went to bed. Sadie, who certainly knows a sucker for a fuzzy face, is wildly enamored of the lovely yet talented Mrs 618 (much as I am, too, of course) and sneaks in whenever she can for a quick cuddle.

I attempted to pick Sadie up to put her back outside, but she utilized a cat's mystical ability to increase her weight from her normal 10 pounds, to slightly more than that of a fully-loaded Boeing 747.

I decided to let her sleep.

When I got home that evening, I got yet another surprise. Our cat Joey, and Sadie were both on the porch. Along with Mr. Bailey, a feral who's trying to "de-feralize" himself by moving in with us, Sadie's brother, and two other short-hair Maine coons.

Six cats. All similar in appearance. All trying to get into the house.

I expect to see myself on "Animal Cops Detroit" one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment