First, a disclaimer: I am not a trained sociologist. In fact, I've taken exactly one sociology course, and that was 25 years ago. And the class was a disaster for me: the professor was an ex-college-football-star who hated cops, and I was a cop who hated jocks and most "-ologists".
It has occurred to me that your average mouth-breathin', Bible-thumpin', hooker-humpin', sister-marryin', rifle-rack-in-the-pickmup neocon wingnut has a lot more in common with the "Islamofascist" he claims to hate than he does with real Americans. To wit:
- Both groups have little or nothing to sustain them but their "faiths" (which is their code for hatred and fear of those who have different beliefs)
- Both say the afterlife is the reward for bearing this life's miseries
- Both viciously -- and occasionally, violently -- condemn those who do not subscribe to their beliefs
- Both have ignored or perverted the most basic tenets of the religions they profess to follow
- Both support the extermination of "non-believers"
- Both are bulwarks of ignorance (in the sense of conscious lack of education), denial of women's rights, and elimination of civil rights for those who differ
- Both prefer confrontation and warfare over civilized discourse
- Both claim that they -- and only they -- have a divine right to rule over their respective socities
- Both claim god-like status for their leaders
- Both view dissent as treason and/or heresy
- Both have puritanical views of sex and sexual relations (but both also tend to ignore these prohibitions when they want)
- Both claim sovereignty over the bodies and souls of women in their respective "cultures"
So, tho whoever coined the word "Talibangelical"... thank you. You hit the nail right on the head.
* (Image swiped from BadTux... hope he doesn't mind)