Monday, April 05, 2021

Drunks. Pfui.

I've had it with drunks.

I will not deal with them any more.

And I don't want to hear "alcoholism is a disease." No, it is NOT a disease, it is a choice. Nobody forces a person to drink. Nobody holds a gun to somebody's head and forces him to drink. A person gets up in the morning and pours himself a glass of orange juice. Adding vodka to the glass is a conscious choice.

Getting hammered every day is a conscious decision to avoid reality, to avoid life, and to avoid the consequences of one's actions.

I used to drink myself into a blind stupor on a regular basis, until I saw what it was doing to me, and what it was doing to those I loved. At that point, I made a conscious decision NOT to drink. And I have no superpowers. In fact, I probably have less willpower than most people. Yet I didn't need a twelve-step program, or sobriety coins, or any of that bullshit. I needed to start each day saying "I don't need to get smashed."

My father and both brothers were mean, nasty, vicious drunks, the kind who get drunk then look for excuses to start trouble.

My mother was less of an alcoholic, but an alcoholic nevertheless, in that she had a psychological addiction to alcohol. She never got falling-down drunk, but if she missed her one glass of wine at dinner, she was an absolute witch.

If you're a drunk, you can get out of my life now. I don't need your drama, your whining, your pleas for understanding. I don't need you trying to excuse your behavior by saying "I'm sick, I have an illness."

You don't have an illness. You are a weak, pathetic loser.



No comments:

Post a Comment